From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!!
As a Mom of boys, and as an athlete myself, I know how important it is to get kids outside and active. I started team sports at a very young age and continued playing through college and still play now! The camaraderie, competition and exercise is great for the mind and body. So when my boys approached me about playing sports I responded with a loud and definite YES!
My boys are avid football and lacrosse players. Our weeks are full of practices and our weekends are full of games and tournaments. You know that uber loud obnoxious cheering Mom at the games? Yeah, that’s me. There is something about sports that sucks me in and gets my adrenaline pumping. What better way to encourage and motivate your child in a sport, right? Even more important is the fact that they love doing it and are building healthy lifestyle choices in the process.
The Chicago Bears are strong believers that children should be fit and active. That kids get off those couches and go outside! Their youth camps help children push beyond their comfort zone, learn new skills and acquire a life long love of being active. The Chicago Bears Youth Camp believes with patience and encouragement, kids gain confidence.
Kids love learning new skills and are always excited to succeed. Tom Finks, Executive Director of Chicago Bears Youth Football Camps, states, “At our camps, through fun skill challenges, fun competitions and fun games, kids exert themselves—often beyond their normal comfort level.”
The Chicago Bears Youth Football Camps are safe, non-contact instruction for kids ages 6-14 and are very suitable for any kid that just wants to learn the game. They provide a station-based training format that allows campers to be divided by age and experience level so each receives the right level of instruction and support. Kids will learn to run, throw, catch, defend, form block, form tackle and explode out of their stance with proper technique and improved speed. The camps, which each run for 5 days from 9am to 3pm (that’s 30 hours active learning, instruction and fun!), do more than just introduce kids to sports, they make kids passionate about being healthy and help develop a lifelong love of fitness. Camps are held at various Chicagoland locations.
Want a chance to give your a Chicago Bears football camp prize pack? It’s easy! Leave a comment about your, or your child’s, favorite sport to play and your email and you are entered. Want a second chance? Tweet this giveaway and leave the URL in the comment section. An example tweet could be:
My child wants to go to the Chicago Bears Football Camp! http://tinyurl.com/cttb9za #eatlikeabear
The winner will receive a Chicago Bears Youth Football Camps prize package that will include items such as: Small leather binder, Bears rally towel, water bottle, Play 60 drawstring bag, D.J. Moore fan face, Bears gloves and football cards. One winner will be randomly chosen June 1st.
Good luck! Now go outside and play!!
Ahh, yes. Life with boys is bound to bring about a few bumps and bruises. This weekend it brought about a broken pinkie toe for Monkey. He is handling it well but will make the situation work for him when he can. Imagine, “Carry me Momma“, in the most pathetic voice ever and with doe eyes the size of saucers. Yeah, he likes to milk it.
Now the process of waiting for it to heal begins. Wonder how long that will take with one overly mobile 6 year old? Let the bets begin!
What did you view this Monday?
Well, it’s Monday and the first day of August which in my house means – football! This year, both boys will be gearing up for football. No more flag for Monkey! This also means that this is what I will view every day when I walk in the house. I am also being polite when I use the word ‘view‘, cause the smell that comes with two boys, fully padded playing football is most days, a bit too much to stomach.
What did you view on this glorious Monday?
Being the mother of boys, my floors and counters are littered with Matchbox cars and trucks. Having a backyard that backs into the woods provides many dirt trails for trucks and diggers, dirt bike trails and monster truck rallies. Don’t get me started on the rally races around the kitchen island!
Well, this lassie is about to score major Mommy points with her boys. This month real Monster trucks are coming to Chicago. I can’t even begin to imagine how they are going to react when they find out they get to go see REAL monster trucks! I may have to work this for all that it’s worth!
Now you too can WITNESS THE THUNDER! Chicago will ROAR and RUMBLE with the nations most competitive MONSTER TRUCKS and FMX Stunt Riders as they storm into The Sears Centre Arena on March 12th and 13th. See these incredible, high jumping, ground pounding, car crushing, axle wrenching giants race in side-by-side drags, wheelie shootouts, and then go completely bananas with amazing freestyle action during this Monster Truck Thrill Show! Plus, you can meet the drivers and see the trucks up close at the pre-event Autograph Pit Party on the arena floor for FREE with regular ticket purchase.
I am even able to offer you a $3.00 discount on your admission! Just click and use the promo code FAMILY for you discount in your city.
I am sure my camera will be working overtime capturing the excitement on their faces. Can’t wait to share their pure joy with you!
Be sure to check out everyone else’s fabulous photo finds this week at Lotus’ Weekly Winners.
Yes, you heard it first here – being a mother to boys is full of excitement and surprises. Just when I think I have seen it all.….
1. The other morning I found this:
3. On the short person front – Monkey boy is LOVING Kindergarten. Well, I take that back. I think he likes Kindergarten. He LOVES riding the bus. When I ask him what he did at school today, he always responds, “I rode the bus!”
4. While he might be loving Kindergarten, I think his teacher thinks I am wacko. Monkey was insistent that his phone number was 867-5309 and became very upset when his brother, and teacher, pointed out otherwise.
5. I also realize that I am to blame for the above meltdown because, well, I have the habit of replacing names and/or words in song. Ima Bee by the Back Eyed Peas in my head will always be SarahB. Well, I changed the name ‘Jenny’ in the above song to Monkeys real name. I also have a HUGE obsession with 80′s music. Obviously it is a bad combination all around.
6. On a happier note I am going to once again try and tackle a photo 365. It will be my third attempt. Yes, I am aware that is a huge failure rate. Yes, I realize my intent on doing 2 separate 365 is crack induced. But I purchased Flickr Pro so it will get done. No, really. It will.
8. Good news! I have a winner for my BlogHer/ Lilith Fair giveaway. Drum roll please…… Malia! Random.org picked comment #2 a the winner. Congrats!!
10. Looking for a great bargain?? Savvy Source is always on the look out for the best deals around in your city. Plus they have a great website for parents of pre-schoolers. They offer great deals for fun, family friendly activities, sometimes it is even 50% off the typical price! It is definitely worth registering for so you can get up to the minute deals in you town.
1. School officially started this week. Bear was not as excited as Monkey to go to school but he has quickly warmed up to his new teacher. He came home yesterday and told me he thought she was ‘really cool‘. Score one for Mrs H. I even put him on the right bus this year!
2. And since we are on the topic of school – my youngest started Kindergarten this week and it has left me very weepy. It’s actually quite ironic since all summer I was SO ready for him to go back to school. But now that the day is here, I am just a mess. Pass the Kleenex please!
3. Kleenex, did somebody say Kleenex?? I will now take this moment to toot my own horn (toot toot) I was the grand prize winner of Kleenex’s Hands-On Learning Giveaway hosted over at Blissfully Domestic. Yep, I was talking about the joys of making a Rube Goldberg. Ever make one?? Thanks Kleenex!!
4. Speaking of giveaways – I am hosting a $100 Visa giftcard giveaway, courtesy of BlogHer over at my review site. Be sure you head on over and enter. $100 could buy some kick butt shoes…. just saying.
5. Football!!! Oh you heard me right, football is in full swing in this Lassie’s house. Bear had the game of a lifetime last Saturday and I was left without a voice. It was amazing!
6. I am totally diggin’ on the new release of the band Elsinore. Definitely worth a listen if you are in the mood for a great Indy rock band. Definitely worth listening too if you just want to hear some great new music.
7. This week the boys and I watched the original Clash Of The Titans. It is one of my favorite movies of all time and I am sure, a cult classic. Monkey has now become obsessed with the Kraken while Bear can’t wait to compare it to the recently released version. Could they be anymore different?
8. I am super proud of my crafting abilities this past week. Nothing like a few sweets to butter up the new teacher!
9. Did I mention the super cool giveaway I am hosting? Did I mention it was about Lilith Fair? What?! You still haven’t entered?? Well, get going already!
10. I am also impatiently patiently waiting for my copy of The Screwtape Letters to arrive. Have you read it? What were your thoughts? Be sure to join in the discussion over at Blissfully Domestic if you have!
This is my last Thursday home before going back to work next week. I am not happy about it. I, like my friend Sarah, would like to move to Australia. Where there are sharks. And cute koalas. And I can be snarky. But just to the sharks cause like I said, koalas are cute and can always make me smile. Not like sharks. But I digress….
1. If you have read up on the Thursday Ten cult (ok, there are just three of us but still), you would also see that we are all PMSing (the joys of being friends) and it has not been pretty. At all. So just throw some chocolate our way and run. It’s safer that way.
2. Which leads me to my next issue. What on earth am I supposed to snarf down to appease my inner anger as a vegan?? Chocolate – has dairy and sugar. Ice cream – dairy, sugar and I am lactose intolerant. Grapes – well now, that is just mean. What happiness can I possibly derive from grapes?! What?? Sour fermented grapes! Now you are talking!!
3.The boys created a new game today. There is no official name, they just sit there punching each other in their privates till one of them cries. Uh, yeah, I know. Why do boys think up these crazy things? Can’t they use their minds for the greater good?! Well, now they are. While they are cleaning their toyroom. Together. In silence.
4. Since the new school year is quickly approaching, the boys and I have been ‘doctoring’ all week. Yep, this week we hit the dentist, the pediatrician and the opthamologist. Throw in a haircut for me tomorrow and we are all ready to go back to school. Physically maybe, mentally – totally questionable.
5. Speaking of getting ready for school – Monkey boy starts Kindergarten this year. He is mostly somewhat ready. One way I have been trying to get him even more ready is with my Grasshopper Prep Kit. I really like it and have been pleased with his progress. I wonder is she makes a kit for listening??
6. This past weekend the family and I took our annual camping trip. We tried somewhere new and loved it. Except for the overly ferocious mosquitoes that had us running to Wally World looking for solace. Thankfully Hubby came out wielding enough Deet to send every mosquitoes in the country running. Except for the ones on our camp site who still felt the need to try and get as close to sucking our blood as they could. The were even dive bombing into our car windows. Guess those were some hungry (or PMSing) mommas!
7. And sine we went camping out of state I also got to enjoy the northern states lovely lack of driving skills. Dear Wisconsin drivers – please don’t sit in the left lane. It makes me cranky. Especially when you are going 10 miles BELOW the speed limit. There are three lanes, please use them.
8. Still trying to get through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I should preface that by saying it is not that I don’t like it, I just haven’t had time to read.
9. AND speaking of tattoos – Hubby is getting his today. Right now in fact. Hope he is surviving. He was given the time frame of 4.5 – 5 hours. That’s a lot of ink time!
10. Now off to finish my to-do list to get the boys and I ready for school. Anyone out there know how to change the water filter in your fridge?? Yikes! It has been red for weeks which is why I have been drinking water from the tap. Maybe Hubby will do it when he gets home from getting his tat. Maybe.